Sunday, June 08, 2008

6 years!!

Today is our six year anniversary! In honor I thought I would brag about the way Mike asked me to marry him...because I think it is really fun. I will start a few weeks before the proposal. It was December 2001, and Mike and I were both attending Idaho State University. Mike was graduating so I wanted to do something fun for him on his last day. I had been asking him what he wanted to do, but he kept brushing me off and then finally told me he would plan the night. I thought that was a little weird since he was the one graduating, so my little brain started spinning and I realised he was going to propose that night. I had been waiting and waiting for him to ask me. I am not proud of this, but I had even gone into his room one day, with a friend, to see if I could find any evidence of a ring, I did find something (the receipt). So, I waited and waited! A few days before "the big night" he said, "I couldn't think of anything to do, so why don't you go ahead and plan something." I was fuming and of course discussed this with my roommate who was aware of the whole situation. I later learned that she was in on it with Mike because they knew I had figured it out...so they wanted to throw me off. I don't exactly remember the time frame, but Mike finally told me he had something planned and I needed to be ready at 4:30, all dressed up. He came to pick me up and we headed on the freeway toward Boise. For those of you not familiar with the area, once you are headed that way there is not much around. I knew we weren't going to Boise because he didn't tell me to pack. We finally turned into the tiny Pocatello airport where Mike had borrowed his company plane, and pilot (thank goodness) and he flew me to Salt Lake. When the plane landed we were picked up on the runway by a Lincoln Town Car, and I was given a dozen roses. Then we had dinner at a place so fancy that I know we will never be back again! I waited and waited, and finally on the plane ride home, really high up in the air, he proposed to me! He gave me the most beautiful ring ever. He picked it out all by himself and did better than I think I could have done. That is a whole other funny story I will tell some other time. He couldn't have done it any better...it was perfect!

And here we are six years later, with our sweet little Hayden and another on the way! I love you Mikey!

7 comments:

jessica said...

That is an amazing proposal!!! I've heard the story before but I still like hearing it!

Grandma Gogi said...

I have always thought that was such a wonderful romantic proposal and it was nice to hear about it again. You were such a beautiful bride Maria and it was such an honor for grandpa and I that you wanted your reception in our backyard. Without you and that wish our backyard would not be as pretty today as it is. PS....We love Mikey too!!!

Collin & Elizabeth said...

Congrats you guys!!!
I will let you know next time Collin does the bear suit. Its not the first time.
Hey..are you guys planning to do 4th of July in IF? You should, and stay at Dustin and Chelsi's new house. I think we might be staying there saturday night. How fun would that be??? Think about it! Congrats again!

Kristen said...

That is so sweet! I wish i had such a fun story. Happy anniversary!

Amanda, Jeremy and Lillian said...

my boss is a terrible person who does illegal things. i have had interviews. they seem to go really well. i still work there but not for long.

Annie said...

Happy Anniversary!! You and Mike are a match made in heaven! I love the engagement story and pics, and the wedding photo!! So fun!

julie said...

ahhh, tender!!!